From 1971 to 2013, it is clear que the TPES significantly increased - more than doubled to be exact. The supply of each fuel type, measured by million tonnes of oil equivalent (MTOE) also increase, including coal, oil, hydro, natural gas, biofuels and waste, nuclear and other forms of fuel. However, some fuels have larger increments than others, enlarging the gap between various fuel types. For example, the supply of coal has not grown by much (around 1000 MTOE), whereas the supply of biofuels and waste has more than doubled. Despite the growing population and energy consumption, the TPES has managed to see notable growth over four decades.
The correlation between the world population, GDP, energy consumption and depicts the unique image of the distribution of people, wealth, and energy throughout the globe. Out of the 7 countries Analyzed (United States, Japan, China, France, Germany, United Kingdom and India) in Table 1.5, They contain roughly 47 percent of the world's population (in 2001), 65 percent of the world's GDP (in 2002 ), and 53% of the global energy consumption (in 2002). According to the table, China, the developing country, held the largest percentage of the world population (about 1.24 billion people) in 2001. Yet, they held one of the lowest percentages of the world GDP (4 percent), nearly $ 9 trillion less than the US, and half of the United State's portion of the world energy consumption (1.034 billion tons of oil equivalent).
On the other hand, the fully developed US held only 4.6 percent of the world's population, 32 percent of the world GDP, and 24 percent of the global energy consumption in 2002. Of the examined countries, the US by far dominates the distribution of GDP and energy. While this might suggest the correlation between GDP (or the development of the country) and energy consumption, it is important to incorporate the factor of population. This importance is exemplified when comparing these two contrasting countries to Japan, Which holds a higher GDP than China, but much lower percentile of energy consumption and world population than China. Thus, BOTH population and the Complexities of the economy play an important role in Evaluating the energy usage.
This assumption is supported through Figure 1.7, which compares energy usage per capita per year versus gross national product (GNP). The developed countries, such as the US and Canada, have much higher GNPs and energy consumptions Compared to the Developing countries, including China and India. According to the World Bank, in 1992 the US consumed nearly 325 GJ of energy per capita, more than 300 GJ more than China. Furthermore, the US quadrupled the GNP per capita recorded for China. This trend is undeniable and implies that advanced economies are much more energy intensive.
As a citizen of a developed country, in an ever growing world, it is important que my current and future personal energy footprint is understood. Using the Nature Conservancy's carbon footprint calculator, I determined that I use roughly 17 tons of CO2 per year. I based the information off of the past 6 months, where I lived with my two roommates in an apartment in Boston. Unfortunately, as a college student in an apartment I do not own, there are only so many factors in my control at my home. I also am an avid traveler, who flies quite often, Which played a significant impacts on my footprint. Although, I usually do not drive the vehicle. While I have considered giving up meat for environmental reasons, I still quite often include it in my meals. I do make a conscious decision to purchase organic produce and drink water from a reusable bottle. Furthermore, my home composts and recycles much of the possible, although we can do better certainly.
The two figures below depict my current and future carbon footprint, which are much lower than the average US citizen. Figure 1 depicts my full current greenhouse gas emissions, displaying the Significantly lower footprint in comparison to the average US citizen (although it is still quite higher than the world average). Figure 2 depicts my best guess for my life in 20 years from now, where I hope to be a much greener world citizen. However, the family and my wealth will grow, I will likely be consuming more resources than as a college student. Hopefully, I will learn of innovative ways to reduce my energy consumption in the future.
Figure 1.
Figure 2.


Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário